Chasing and Repousse for Jewelry: Sculpting Forms Directly into Metal
Jewelry by Linda Kindler Priest
Instructor: Linda Kindler-Priest
Level: Intermediate and above
Requirements: Jewelry II or equivalent
Status: Wait List
Length: 3 Days
Tuition: $ 495
Materials: $ 15
Date: June 27, 2014 - June 29, 2014
Time: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
This course is currently full. Spaces do occasionally open up so if you would like to be put on the wait list please call our office at 781-891-3854 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.(Please include your name, phone number, and email address).
Linda Kindler Priest creates extraordinary art jewelry through the specialized process known as Chasing and Repoussť. This three-day workshop introduces students to this time-honored method for making raised designs on metal sheet.
Using hammers, chasing tools, and pitch, learn to create interesting textures, patterns, unusual shapes, and realistic images in low relief. These techniques allow for the development of well-defined forms on a small scale and are suitable for all forms of jewelry and objets d'art.
Demonstrations include how to work with chasing tools, as well as procedures for chasing metal and forming repoussť reliefs. In addition, students will make their own repoussť tools, as well as modify purchased tools. This is an important step, as it is customary to modify commercial chasing tools so they better fit each person's specific needs. Students will practice techniques through several exercises to develop a deeper understanding of the process but are encouraged to be creative with each design.
If you'd like to see more of Linda's work, please visit her website www.lkindlerpriest.com
Materials & Tools
There is a $15 materials fee payable when signing up. It includes copper and tool steel for fabricating chasing tools. Additional copper will be available for sale as necessary.
Please note: Students are required to have their own pitch pot filled with Red German Pitch for this class. If you already have one, please bring it with you to the workshop. If you do not have one, resources are listed below. Please contact us if you would like assistance. We're happy to help.
Students Should Bring to Class:
- Pitch and pitch bowl.
- Round pitch bowl and stand (different shape is OK if you already have one but a round bottom with rubber stand is ideal for achieving the correct angle while working) See 5" bowl example from Contenti here
- 2 kilos of Red Pitch, available from Allcraft (800-645-7124) and Rio Grande. Make sure you get Red German Pitch OR Red California Medium Pitch.
- Bowls should be filled before class but if you have questions or would like assistance, please let us know. Watch an instructional video on
- Chasing hammer (if you have one, although Metalwerx will have several on hand for use during class) - Click here to see one from Contenti. Allcraft also carries a nice one for around $15.
- Chasing tools (if you have them, although Metalwerx will have them on hand for use during class) Be sure to label them so they aren't mixed up with the school's!
- Files & sanding sticks
- Safety glasses
- If you wish to work in silver, please bring your own. We suggest 23 gauge sterling silver. You can purchase 22 gauge, and use our rolling mill to thin it out.
Copyright © 1996 - 2014 MetalWerx